After the Boom by Donna Santisi

5:43 PM



Several months ago I read an i-D article about a photo exhibit by Donna Santisi happening in LA. At this time (I think it was October) I was still living in East Lansing - I didn't even actually know for sure if I would be living in LA for real after I graduated. At this point it was more of a wishful thought than an actual goal. Nevertheless, I made it my mission to see these photos IRL.

The exhibit revolves around the LA rock scene of the 1970's with a prominence on the badass chicks that ruled the era. The photos include icons like Debbie Harry, Joan Jett, and Patti Smith. To explain why I'm not featuring any of the amazing photos in this post: Out of respect for the artist I kept my camera to myself when it came to snapping pics. The photos are on sale for what I'd call a respectably modest price point - had I been more financially inclined I would have bought the one of Debbie Harry performing "Rip Her to Shreds" live on stage.

The venue where the photos are located (The Evil Rock N Roll Hollywood Cat) is situated right on Hollywood Boulevard. The whole experience (the vintage books, the rock 'n' roll paraphernalia, the photos that made you feel like you were there) emphasized exactly why I feel like I belong in LA right now. To be a part of something big and important.

Admittedly today's music in no way measures up to the rock 'n' roll music of the 1970's but I think that what's happening in fashion today is quite similar to what was happening back then. There's a huge retro revival going on that everyone (including me) wants to be a part of. I LOVE the way people dressed in the 60's/70's. To think that it was scandalous and controversial for women to dress that way back then is crazy. But when you think about it in today's more modern terms it makes sense - we want to bring back this girl power, "we'll do/wear what we want and we don't care if you like it" kind of attitude portrayed in Donna Santisi's photos of these 70's rock goddesses.

I highly recommend seeing the photos in person - they'll be up until the end of January!

Love,
Jessica
xxx






You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

recent posts